Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Keep them cool!

I really did not know where to start but felt that I would begin with some familiar territory. We need to do the best we can at keeping our critters happy and comfortable. Here in Phoenix it is near impossible to keep ourselves cool, let alone our worms during the summertime. I currently have a swamp cooler running 24/7 blowing nice cool air on my worms in the garage. This has worked all summer long, however some people may not have the ability to do this. So another idea is to bring them inside. I have customers who have a spare bathroom and they keep their "Factory For Worms" in the tub. I have another who uses the hall closet and yet another who keeps it in the kitchen. If you leave them outside, make sure your compost bin is large enough for them to escape the heat. To be more specific, make it deep enough so worms can keep away from the heat and wide enough for them to retreat into the center to escape the heat. They love staying moist so water them down during the summer, at least everyday or every other day for sure. Thanks for listening and please post your thoughts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I purchased the Gusanito factory of worms two days ago from you and it's located in a spare bedroom. About 50-100 of my 2lbs of worms have accumulated on the inside lid and it seems fairly humid. This is the first time using a bin with a lid. I have coconut coir and a little shredded newspaper and a little bit of rabbit pellets inside. Are things going as planned with this type of bin?

Save my worms.

canyonlandworms said...

William,
Give them a chance to get used to their new surroundings. Depending on where you got your worms from, the coconut coir might be an adjustment for them.
Thanks