Sunday, September 28, 2008

Worm Castings and Pest Control

I received a call last night from a gentlemen that has used some worm castings that I sent him. He did an experiment, some plants with worm castings and others without. The results were astounding. Not only are the plants with worm castings healthier but they also had no aphids or white flies. According to his research, once the plant absorbs the benefits of the worm castings the plants put off an odor that insects do not like. So not only do worm castings fertilize your plants organically but they have an added benefit of being healthier and stronger by keeping bugs away. I have asked him to blog his research, so in the coming days you will be able to get this news first hand. Thanks and stay tuned.

3 comments:

canyonlandworms said...

We received this comment from an anonymous customer and posted it for him:

We are new residents of Arizona from Northern California and have totally no experience or knowledge about gardening in Arizona. Spring of 2007 was our first experience and what an experience. Our garden was invaded by all the insects and pests (Whites Flies, Aphids, etc.) in Arizona. Used chemical products to do battle with the little critters with non-satisfactory success. Our plants took a beating. I lost the battle of 2007. For the spring 2008, I decided to take a more proactive and aggressive approach to this insect and pest problem. From a different web site, I received info that using worm castings in gardens is a double-edged sword. It provides nutrients etc. for plants to grow and become healthier, it will also ward off White Flies, Aphids, etc. Got some worm castings from Robert at Canyonland Worms and decided to experiment with 2 Hibiscus and leave our Lantana to battle on their own. Spreaded and mixed about 1/2" of worm castings into the soil at the base of the Hibiscus. It did not take a rocket scientist to do that. I am not a technical person, however all I know is that the experiment was a success. Voila! The 2 Hibiscus are healthy and growing without White Flies, Aphids, etc. and still blooming flowers. I will repeat this process with Lantana. Thanks Robert for your help.

brittanymlemay said...

Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks. click here

Douglas A. Sheppard said...

I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,they shall take a good site to make a information,thanks for sharing it to me. Exterminator Long Island